Very Special Kids get very special burgers

MalvernMelbourneVictoria
Back
  • Local Matters

Very Special Kids hospice was engulfed in the smell of baked goods, fresh flowers and lean beef in celebration of the annual Very Special Kids Fair. Small children were squealing at the prospect of face paint and sugar, while their parents tried to sooth them with the idea of food. Amidst the hustle and a bustle a white marquee stood tall, buzzing with the energy of seven Grill’d Malvern staff members.

Very Special Kids cares for children with life-threatening conditions, by offering a children’s hospice and support services for families. Across Victoria Very Special Kids helps over 900 families. Currently, the group only receives 30% of their funding from the Victorian Government, and therefore have to raise the remaining 70% in order to keep the facility running. 

The Grill’d Malvern team, being so close to Very Special Kids hospice were really keen to get involved with their Family Day and almost every team member nominated themselves to participate. On the day seven Grill’d Malvern team members made their way down to the fair in their red bandanas and chequered shirts. Throughout the duration of the day, the Grill’d team pumped out burgers and chips for the Malvern community. 

Since then, the Very Special Kids team have made their way down to Grill’d in Malvern and enjoyed some of our burgers. The great relationship that has been facilitated between Very Special Kids and Grill’d Malvern is all thanks to Local Matters. VSK has participated on the jars numerous times, more recently winning a total of $100. The money raised by Grill’d Malvern through both the Local Matters and the Very Special Kids Family Day Fair went towards paying for a night in the facility for one of the patients. 

Ainslee, the manager of Grill’d Malvern expressed his admiration for Very Special Kids stating, ‘the Very Special Kids Activation was an eye opening experience not only for myself but for my team. It really drove home the impact we can have on our Local Community and has inspired my team to take Local Matters to the next level. The whole team is so excited to gear up for the event again in 2016.

Share this story: